Cabin Telephone from RMS Windsor Castle – 1950s
A Cabin telephone made by TMC from RMS Windsor Castle of the Union Castle.
Unusually, the Windsor Castle never suffered a re-fit and at her time of breaking all her original fixtures, furniture and fittings were present and intact.
Her second owner John Latsis regarded the ship as his personal favourite and so left her as he found her when she had finished sailing with Union Castle.
Great decor and collectable item.
32cm 12.5in height
26cm 10.25in width
13cm 5in depth
Flagship of the Union Castle Line , Built Cammel Laird & Company. Launched 1959.
As Windsor Castle, she made a total of 124 round voyages. Carried around 270,000 passengers and steamed over 1.6 million nautical miles. She never missed a scheduled sailing.
The demolition of the ship began on 18 August 2005, exactly 45 years to the day since her maiden voyage from Southampton to Durban.
The Royal Mail Ship Windsor Castle of 1959 was the largest passenger and cargo mail ship operated by the Union-Castle Line on their ‘Cape Mail’ service to South African ports.
The new vessel was notable for the high standard and design of her public rooms in a “traditional” first class and “contemporary” tourist class configuration, which afforded both classes public rooms and deck space facing forward.
The spacious passenger lounges and dining rooms were designed by eminent British architects.
RMS Windsor Castle was air-conditioned throughout the passenger and crew areas. Facilities included a fully equipped hospital, two outdoor swimming pools, a health spa and a theatre/cinema. A large amount of dry and refrigerated cargo space, cargo wine tanks and a bullion room, were also fitted.