HMS Sandwich Badge 1928-1946 Sloop Brass plate and badge.
Bridgewater -Class Escort Sloop ordered from Hawthorne Leslie, Newcastle on 19th September 1927 under the 1927
Build Programme with sister ship HMS Sandwich as replacements for the Flower Class built during WW1.
The ship was laid down on 9th February 1928 and launched without ceremony on 29th September that year. She was the 6th major RN warship to bear this name, introduced in 1679 for a 2nd Rate, possibly after Edward Montague, first Earl of Sandwich (1625 –72). This ex soldier later became a general-at-sea and was killed at the Battle of Solebay. It was also used for four minor auxiliary warships. The last use was for a hired Lugger taken out of service in 1814. On completion of build on 23rd March 1929 this Sloop was immediately deployed on the China Station and did not return to UK until after the outbreak of WW2. In March 1942 she was, most appropriately, adopted by the civil community of Sandwich, Kent after a successful WARSHIP WEEK National Savings campaign.
B a t t l e H o n o u r s BEACHY HEAD 1690 – BARFLEUR 1692 – BELLEISLE 1761 – USHANT 1778 – ST VINCENT 1780 – ATLANTIC 1939-44 – NORTH AFRICA 1942
37cm x 33cm 14.5in x 13in