Original Salvaged Oval Portholes MV Aureol – 1951
An Elder Dempster Line Passenger Ship called the ‘AUREOL’ built by Alexander Stephen and Sons at Glasgow in 1951.
We were at Alang to see Her scrapped years ago, then known as the ‘Marianna VI’, and subsequently bought as many fittings as we could. It is unusual to see oval portholes on passenger ships, in fact, the only other Ship that we have bought oval portholes from before was the ‘Amerikanis’ formerly Union Castle Lines’ ‘Kenya Castle’. They do not make portholes this nice anymore.
The porthole has four brass securing keys and high specification toughened glass which is easily strong enough to stand on.
Stamped into each porthole is, ‘Utley Rainhill’. Utley is the name of the company who were brass-founders and ships light manufacturers between 1829-1977.
Overall dimensions :
66cm (26″) x 57cm (22″) overall.
Glass Size: 46cm x 38cm (18in x 15in) The original glass has a few cosmetic marks and scratches.
Elder Dempster Lines, Liverpool.
Built by Alexander Stephen and Sons at Glasgow 253 1st, 76 cabin class passengers; crew 145
She was launched March 28, 1951 and began her maiden voyage Liverpool-Lagos November 3. She was the largest passenger ship built for Elder Dempster Lines. Her curved bow, terraced superstructure, tripod mast and cruiser spoon stern made her one of the handsomest ships of the day, drawing comparisons to the CARONIA of 1948. First voyage Southampton-Lagos April 26 1972. Arrived Southampton last time October 14 1974. She was sold to Marianna Shipping of Panama and arrived in Piraeus for refitting in November. In June 1974 she was renamed MARIANNA VI used as an office and leisure centre for Petrola Int. S.A. Construction Company in Jeddah.