RMS Windsor Castle Emergency & Boat Stations Notice – Tourist Class
These notices came from the Tourist Class Lounges of RMS Windsor Castle.
The notice is from the ‘Union Castle Mail Steamship Co. Ltd’ and is written in both English and Africaan.
Extract from notice, ‘a succession of six short blasts followed by one long blast, on the whistles and the continuous ringing of electric bells’, ‘When at your Place of Assembly await there calmly the Captains orders conveyed through the purser or those acting under him. Passengers are invited to take part in general musters and exercises held during the voyage’.
36cm 14in Height
14cm 5in Width
Flagship of the Union Castle Line , Built Cammel Laird & Company. Launched 1959.
As Windsor Castle, she made a total of 124 round voyages. Carried around 270,000 passengers and steamed over 1.6 million nautical miles. She never missed a scheduled sailing.
The demolition of the ship began on 18 August 2005, exactly 45 years to the day since her maiden voyage from Southampton to Durban.
The Royal Mail Ship Windsor Castle of 1959 was the largest passenger and cargo mail ship operated by the Union-Castle Line on their ‘Cape Mail’ service to South African ports.
The new vessel was notable for the high standard and design of her public rooms in a “traditional” first class and “contemporary” tourist class configuration, which afforded both classes public rooms and deck space facing forward.
The spacious passenger lounges and dining rooms were designed by eminent British architects.
RMS Windsor Castle was air-conditioned throughout the passenger and crew areas. Facilities included a fully equipped hospital, two outdoor swimming pools, a health spa and a theatre/cinema. A large amount of dry and refrigerated cargo space, cargo wine tanks and a bullion room, were also fitted.