£325.00 (ex. VAT)

HMS Birmingham Town class Light cruiser

Built at Devonport Dockyard , Plymouth

On the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, HMS Birmingham left for Malta for a refit before joining the Home Fleet in April 1940. HMS Birmingham was a unit of the 18th Cruiser Squadron of the Home Fleet, initially used to patrol off the coast of Norway to prevent German fishing vessels operating in this area

In 1942 HMS Birmingham escorted a convoy to Mahajanga West Coast where the 10th Infantry Brigade was landed under air cover provided by the aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious

She was broken up in 1960 by Thos W Ward

1 in stock